Within the Architects’ Association of PEI there are numerous categories of membership.
1) Registered Members – Member architects located in Prince Edward Island.
2) Graduate Member – An individual that is not entitled to practice architecture but who is in training in an assistant’s role to become an architect, who wishes to remain involved with his/her profession, and who is interested in supporting the profession and its aims, objectives, and activities.
3) Reciprocal Members – Member architects from jurisdictions outside Prince Edward Island.
4) Student Member – An individual enrolled as a member who is studying architecture at an accredited university and has not yet graduated.
5) Certificate of Practice Holders – Registration as an architect does not entitle an architect to practice. A separate Certificate of Practice must be granted. Application for a Certificate of Practice includes requiring licensure for all principals/partners who practice architecture with application for license for each, as well as proof of liability insurance. AAPEI maintains records of all current Certificate of Practice holders.
6) Retired Members – Individuals who have ceased the practice of architecture while Registered/Reciprocal members in good standing. Membership is automatic upon retirement from active practice.
7) Honorary Members – Individuals who have rendered the profession special and valuable service or who have practised with distinction any of the arts crafts allied to architecture. For more information, contact AAPEI.
8) Licenses – There are also two categories of licenses, temporary and special.
• Temporary licenses are for a specific project and the architect must associate with a local firm.
• Special licenses are for an architect who is not practicing architecture on Prince Edward Island, but who may be giving a course at the university, or doing some other type of work in which he/she is still calling him/herself an Architect but is not practicing architecture.
If you are an architect trained in a foreign country, please check under the Resources and Information link and click on Broadly Experienced Foreign Architect program on the CACB link.
Become a Member
To become a member of AAPEI, depending on the category of membership, you may download applications for the following:
• Application – Registered Members – Revised March 2019
• Application for Reciprocal Membership – for Architects Licensed Registered in other Provinces and USA – Revised March 2019
• Certificate of Practice Application – revised February 2019
• Application for Graduate Membership
• Application for Special License
• Application for Student Membership
• Application for Temporary License
(All require Adobe Acrobat Reader)
Annual Membership Renewal Forms – Report on Form of Business and Professional Liability Insurance Forms
Completed application forms should be mailed or emailed to:
Architects’ Association of PEI
Attn: Scott Stewart, Executive Director
P.O. Box 1766, Charlottetown PE C1A 7N4
Please email director@aapei to alert us to your intent to apply for membership.